Saturday 18 May 2013

Michelle L. Hinton, author of The Sin-Eater's Daughter

The Sin-Eater's Daughter by Michelle L. Hinton is available for Kindle from Amazon:
US: The Sin-Eater's Daughter by Michele L. Hinton
UK: The Sin-Eater's Daughter by Michele L.Hinton
 
The Sin-Eater's Daughter by Michelle L. Hinton
The Sin-Eater's Daughter by Michelle L.Hinton

New Orleans - 1846 - Jedidiah Lucas was born under a cloud of misfortune. After the Civil War, circumstances force him to leave New Orleans and destiny leads him to Black Water Township in Louisiana. This quiet, peaceful town, nestled by the woods of Black Water Swamp, has a problem. Their Sin-Eater has died, and they desperately need another to take his place. The leadership of the town sees opportunity when Jedidiah arrives. By manipulating certain information, the young man is forced to stay, and he is taken in by Paloma Day, an old Gypsy fortune teller whom everyone calls the swamp witch.

Trouble begins with the birth of twin girls, only one of them is pronounced dead at birth. But is she? When a lie is told and a secret is kept, hatred, prejudice and the superstitious nature of the town’s people bring dire consequence to a young girl with a special ability. When things go terribly wrong in Black Water, the blame is placed on Hattie - The Sin-Eater’s Daughter.

. . . . . . . .

Author Quiz interviews Michelle L.Hinton...

What is it you love most about writing?
Writing is an escape from daily routines. My characters you might say are more or less an extension of both my good side and my dark side. I could never do some of the things in real life that I have my characters do.

Where did the inspiration for your latest novel, The Sin-Eater's Daughter, come from?
My inspiration came from two sources. An old song, called Swamp Witch by Jim Stafford, and an movie from the series Night Gallery or Twilight Zone. It was a long time ago that I saw it, but I remember.  I had never heard of a sin-eater until I saw that movie, and after doing a little research to find out if they really existed, I decided that it would be a good theme not normally done for a book. The thought of combining a sin-eater in a swamp with a supposed witch, sounded unique so I combined the three ideas.

Would your book, The Sin-Eater's Daughter, work best as a movie adaptation or as a TV series?
I would love to see my character's come alive on the screen.  I think a movie would be wonderful, but if it were made for television, I think it would be great as a mini-series. That way more details of my characters could shine through. As for one of my main characters, Jedidiah, I thought about Johnny Depp to play that part. Mr. Depp plays unique characters. I think portraying a Sin-Eater would be right up his alley.

If you could invite one character from your novel to a dinner party who would it be and why?
That would be simple. From the Sin-Eater's Daughter, I would invite Paloma. Who wouldn't want a gypsy fortune teller come to dinner. Paloma has a quick wit and though people call her a witch, she would make a charming guest.

What are some of your favourite quotes from reviews that you've received?
Currently, I have one review on Amazon. She says: "This is the best book I've read in a year.....engaging and has the flavor of "To Kill A Mockingbird"...  To be put in the same class as that famous book is high praise. I also like the headline she wrote paraphrasing a line from the "Wizard of Oz"  She wrote: "Gators and Witches and Lies...Oh My!"

Would you rather have great reviews but average sales or great sales but average reviews?
I would prefer great reviews and great sales, but I believe that if the reviews are great eventually it would lead to greater sales and the chance for my other works to get recognition as well. If readers liked that book, they would want to see what else I may have written.

Which book more than any other have you read and thought, 'I wish I'd written this book'?
That is an easy question.  I have read just about everything written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Though I love Tarzan, my favorite series is his Martian series.  I remember my mother reading A Princess of Mars to me and my father when I was a child. I have read the series three times since then.

What would you say is your biggest strength as a writer?
I love writing dialog. If my character is a fine lady or gentleman, I use properly written words. If my character is a gator huntin', swamp dwellin', Kentucky hillbilly, I'm gonna use all the slang and mispronounced (spelled) words in writing my dialog as they might speak it.  I try to make my writing at a level that anyone can enjoy without having to use a dictionary to look up words that you don't know the meaning of.  My work can be enjoyed by both men, women and young adults.

. . . . . . . .

Michelle L. Hinton, author of The Sin-Eater's Daughter
Thanks for your comments, Michelle, and good luck with your writing.

. . . . . . . .

Check out the trailer for The Sin-Eater's Daughter on YouTube:
The Sin-Eater's Daughter by Michelle L. Hinton - Book Trailer

. . . . . . . .

The Sin-Eater's Daughter by Michelle L. Hinton is available for Kindle from Amazon:
US: The Sin-Eater's Daughter by Michele L. Hinton
UK: The Sin-Eater's Daughter by Michele L.Hinton

And from the following online book stores:
Smashwords
Barnes & Noble
The Seashell Books

No comments:

Post a Comment